Web- Large connection & inter relatedness.
Quest- Journey, seeking, and/or moving forward towards a goal.
Definition: An interactive online learning experience that includes tasks and formulations of concepts in efforts to reach a destination or goal.
*This class was helpful with becoming comfortable with the idea of what we are about to create in our WebQuests. I think it will be easier to create now that I have a foundation on it's goals and purposes. I am also coming to appreciate that planning can make a beneficial difference when coordinating technologically integrated classroom activities.
This Chapter focuses on problem solving and using technology as a tool for learning. With so many software and web tools, we can create a dynamic form of learning that takes learning to a whole new level, especially, with the Intelligent Tutoring System, a new software program where students learn through computer responses to student actions! Children tend to have a natural attraction to things that stand out and are totally unique for them. This chapter sticks to the NETS-T Standard 1, part b where teachers "engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems" This is a cool chapter and I really enjoyed it.
Reaction to Storyboard:
I found that this type of video project works
best for instructional clips that involve steps. This type of project works
best for demonstrating that one knows the steps that a task is comprised of. It
gives the learner an opportunity to create their own expressions of the
knowledge. Students gain the chance to not only learn, but to learn and create. This gives meaning to the whole
purpose of learning, promotes critical thinking, integrates art (which has been
proven to be beneficial in the acquisition of knowledge), provides a wide array
of choices, and ultimately gives students a sense of ownership to their
learning. In terms of what works best about my
project in particular, I feel that I was able to collect a wonderful mirage of
pictures for my audience. I must have picked the right topic because finding
each picture for my storyboard was easy and the selections of pictures that I
looked at on Google were vast. I work in a hospital so I am constantly being taught the ABS’s of hand
washing. And poof! There was my video. Did I draw any of the pictures? No. Did
I take any of those photos? No. But, what I did
do was integrate music, pictures, and text to create one work of art. I found
the lesson to be thrilling and I was so happy with my results. I must say
though, the Earthquake video that you shared with the class was amazing!
If I had more time, energy, and
money life would be a dream. In terms of this project, I might have added more
pictures in between the text. I think I also would have liked to create one
about an unsung hero, or something more meaningful to me than hand washing. And
if I had more money, I suppose I could have bought into a more expensive plan
(which offered more features) on Animoto. I think this type of video would be
great to use for fundraising and charity events and also for attention-grabbers
at the beginning of lessons.
The instructional technology
integration has taught me that working with technology can be exciting and can
even be viewed of as a type of art. Talking about Pinterest tonight in class,
we have all become collectors of information on the internet. This project
required collecting pictures; however on social bookmarking sites people have
gotten comfortable with collecting tid-bits of information at the touch of the
button, and with the intention of actually reading on their own terms. Two
things people love today: instant gratification (click of a mouse) and learning
on their own terms (when and where).
In the development of this project,
the teaching standard that was addressed the most was “to promote, support, and
model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness.” I think that
students need this type of support most when they are in the beginning stages
of becoming digitally inventive. I can also see how this method of teaching or
assessing knowledge can increase self-efficacy in students.
Questions:
1. What topics are everyone choosing for their WebQuest?
2. Is there a time-limit on how much time the completion of a WebQuest should take?
3. As teachers implementing WebQuests, how do we deal with accessibility issues regarding computers at home?
I will be doing my webquest on feelings and how they can help a child to express himself my webquest is aimed at first graders so I think this is a great topic for them to learn especially since there just starting out.
ReplyDeleteI think I will be doing my webquest on the five senses. I plan to incorporate a trip to the Long Island children’s museum and at home activities to have children realize how much they rely on their senses. I want children to experience what it would be like not to be able to see or hear and how they would feel. I feel i could use this webquest to supplement other lessons such as a lesson the seasons, apples, etc. I plan on gearing my lesson to a first grade, kindergarten grade level.
ReplyDelete