Thursday, October 4, 2012

Week 5- Ch 4


- Technology integration - refers to ways that teachers build technology into all aspects of their professional work.
- Educational Change - refers to innovations by teachers that create new patterns of teaching and learning in schools.

2 elements are needed to for technology and instruction to be successful:

    1). Teacher mindset: When teachers ask themselves how computers, the Internet and other resources enable students to best meet curriculum goals and learning outcomes.
    
    2). Multiple Pathways: Technology integration is more about how technology is used by teachers than about the amount of technology a teacher has to use.

A technology-using educator can be defined as someone who:

    1). Makes informed choices
    2). Explores Technology
    3). Promotes Change

Inclusion - means that computers and other information technologies are used mainly for traditional purposes of transferring information and practicing skills.

Infusion - means that computers and information technologies are ongoing features of teaching and learning in all academic subjects as all grade levels.

 Stages of Technology Integration

    1) Entry - Teachers are beginning to learn technology
    2).Adoption - Teacher knows enough to add technology in the classroom
    3).Adaptation - Teacher is using technology regularly.
    4).Appropriation - Teacher is using technology inside and outside the classroom.
    5).Invention - Teacher is exploring new ways to use technology in and our of the classroom.

Digital Inequality - More technology is not always the best

Social Infomatics - Analysis in which technology's impacts are considered within the context of larger social, economic, and political realities.

Participation gap - There is a difference between students with 27/7 access to technology and those who can only use it at the libraries and schools.

Mindtools - computer based tools and learning environments that have been adapted or developed to function as intellectual partners with the learner in order to engage and facilitate critical thinking and higher order learning.


YouTube for teachers           www.teachertube.com

I feel as if this chapter's main purpose was to motivate teachers to not only learn what's out there now, but to adopt and pursue technology, new technology, as well as inventing new ways to use it for learning. 

Questions: 

1. Do you think it is harder for experienced teachers to integrate technology into the curricula, or is it more difficult for new teachers to do so?

2. I hear about the Dept. of Ed. mentioned in politics often. Do you see the government imposing new laws on technology-based classroom strategies?

3. Integrating and "infusing" multidisciplinary, differentiated, and technology-based lesson plans seems complex and scattered. What are some ways that we can keep it simple, while following these guidelines?


3 comments:

  1. I find Teacher Tube to be a little spotty and inconsistent at times. I know that in NYC DOE classrooms that YouTube is blocked, and so Teacher Tube is a good resource to use; however, when I type in a subject, I often find it hard to discover a good video that would be effective for my needs. Instead, I will download videos off of YouTube and reupload them onto my account on Teacher Tube to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you bring up some great points i think there will be government restrictions in the near future because so many teachers are intergradering tachnology in the classroom I think restrictions will be needed to make sure the children arent being exposed to something that they shouldnt be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think that its harder for teachers who have not integrated technology has the harder time. I personally am nervous and scared because I have not used technology in the classroom. I just feel lost!

    ReplyDelete